As members of the ILCA, it is in your best interest to report those that do not have workers’ compensation insurance. By doing so, you will ensure that these businesses will not be able to endanger good workers and undercut their competition.
- Our research suggests that as much as 40% of landscape companies are operating with no or insufficient workers’ compensation insurance.
- As a professional landscape company and ILCA member, you may be aware of other landscape companies that may be uninsured. It is up to you to help keep your competitors honest and landscape workers safe.
- The Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission (IWCC) is the state agency that oversees workers’ compensation and is pledged to take action. They may take a variety of actions from fines to suspension of operations until the company can demonstrate compliance.
- It is impossible for the IWCC to effectively monitor the landscape industry without your help. Legal businesses must be the eyes and ears of the IWCC in the field.
Step 1: Check the coverage status of a company: https://www.ewccv.com/cvs/?ref=https://iwcc.illinois.gov/
Step 2: If coverage is not found, fill out the form below and ILCA will transmit to the IWCC
The company I am searching for does not show up in the IWCC database. Does this mean they do not carry an active worker’s compensation insurance policy? Possibly, but not necessarily. There are a few reasons why the company may be a no-match.
- Make sure you try a few different variations of the name, especially if their name has special characters like periods, ampersands, or apostrophes. The data is literal so how the data was entered into the system is how it will search and find the name. Even a slight modification will return a no-match.
- The company may be self-insured (this is rare).
- The company may only be a sole proprietor (this is rare, especially in landscaping).
- The company may be “Doing Business As” and the policy may be listed under a person’s name or another company name. This can be verified using the Illinois Secretary of State’s corporation/LLC lookup on their website at: https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/business_services/corp.html
If you feel confident the company is not carrying a policy, it is time to submit a claim to the IWCC.